Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The Foundation - Building Blocks of the Future

I get asked a lot "how do you do it?". I always assume they are addressing my having 3 boys, and I say that "I am very lucky to have been able to leave my full time job so that I could focus my efforts on raising my 3 boys". A few days ago though, I was asked the same question, but just felt the context of the question was different. They were asking, indirectly "how do you keep your sanity while managing your child who currently is dropping to the floor while simultaneously trying to run away, with a scream so high pitched the neighborhood dogs think they are being summoned to a party". And that's when I smiled, counted to ten, picked my boy up, told him "no" again, and said "with patience and perseverance".

The thing is, having a child with special needs is more rewarding than it is difficult. There are times when we think that we won't get through a certain phase (Potty Training for instance), or when we feel in our hearts how much harder raising C has been in comparison to the other 2, BUT... the joys that child has brought our family, the humor, and humility he shows us everyday, the life lessons he has taught us, are more valuable than any number of life experiences previous to having him.

What does the Future Hold? 

 
I always knew I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to be a great mom. I wanted to be the house that all the kids in the neighborhood had to come to. I wanted to be the confidant, the friend, the stern voice, when needed. I knew my destiny was motherhood. I have said so many times before, that "the diagnosis" was life changing. We had to go through the stages of grief, to realize that it wasn't just C's future that we no longer had a clear vision of, but our future as well. I think the hardest part has been long term planning, taking each day as it comes. I am a planner, and not knowing what life will look like in 15 years has been frustrating.

The thing is, none of us really know what our future holds. We have all asked, "what does that mean for my child's future?", but we can't really determine any of our children's future. We lay the foundation, but ultimately our children are the one's that pave the path to their own destiny. I always envisioned A as an engineer or architect. He can build intricate and extravagant creations from Lego's, he has always had the ability to do so. He, however, has always expressed interest in acting, directing. From the time he was a toddler, he would set his toys up on stage, and direct us on how to act, what to say. We thought it was just a phase... really, what 2 year old understands what actors do, and have interest in that field? Well he persisted, and despite my dreams of MIT, he has paved his own way, and wants to pursue acting. After 10 years of interest, it is our responsibility to help him go after his dream.

When we get "the diagnosis", we grieve the "what could have been", then we try to reinvent, "what will be". We focus our efforts on fostering our children's abilities, how to ensure a fulfilled life, while still balancing our personal dreams and goals. It repaves our future, and lays a new foundation for our way of life.

BUT... in those moments of reinvention, come moments of triumph, hope, light, laughter. There will be many bends in the road. There will be times where we aren't strong enough to go on our own. In those times, we will rely on our family, our friends, our own support network to help us build and rebuild our foundation and path. And in the meantime, we will continue to take each challenge in stride, we will cherish each of moments of triumph, no matter how great or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment