Friday, October 11, 2013

The Wanderer... continued

PAS - Public Alert System


After "The Wanderer" debuted, I had several parents approach me with similar concerns regarding their child and their own fears about their child wandering. It occurred to me that I took the suggestions of other mom's, and information from the AWAARE website, but hadn't done my due diligence in effectively researching our state and local law enforcement's protocol regarding eloped children with IDD (Intellectual/ Developmental Disability). So, I did some research. What I found was this:

  1. The Amber Alert is only used if a child has been confirmed as “Abducted” and the Alert will only be used if there is proof that he/ she is “at risk of serious bodily harm or injury”. www.amberalert.gov
  2. The Silver Alert in the state of Maryland is used “in instances of an adult, suffering certain cognitive impairments, has been reported missing.” The criteria dictates that the individual must be over the age of 60, have a cognitive disability, poses a threat to one’s health or safety, and is operating a motor vehicle. www.mdsp.org

Other states  have included individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities in the Silver Alert System or their variation of the Public Alert System. 

After learning the above, I decided to take further action and call our State Senate Office to speak with Senator Joanne Benson, who serves on multiple committees, including Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, Joint Committee on Children, Youth, and Families, and Joint Committee on Access to Mental Health Services. Though I was unable to speak directly with the Senator herself, I was able to find out from her aide that there is no pending legislation for a Public Alert System that will include people of all ages that have a diagnosis of IDD. I briefly introduced Kinera Foundation and expressed my personal concern that if my child were to go missing, statistically his chances of being found unharmed are slim, and that it would be a travesty to our community to have to endure a loss, in order for the issue to put on the forefront. She suggested that I speak with our local law enforcement agency directly and asked that I call her office back with the information I was given. 

So with a mission in mind, I set out to our local fire department. I was met by two young and enthusiastic firemen who wanted desperately to help, but could only tell me that if my child were to go missing, the Sheriff's Office and Maryland State Police would be dispatched. By happenstance, two state troopers happened to be eating lunch at the firehouse, and the young firemen were happy to pass me off to a better authority on the issue. To their credit, they did remain in the room, while I gave the unprepared uniformed officers the third degree. 

Here is what they told me:

There is currently no Public Alert System that includes individuals with IDD in the state of Maryland. If one of our loved ones were to go missing they urged me to call 911, even as quickly as within minutes of not being able to locate the missing party. When I questioned the advice to preemptively provide our local law enforcement and fire department with a current picture of our child with IDD, they indicated that while in theory it was a good idea, it was not realistic for them to retain in an accurate filing system all of the children in our community who may elope. What they did advise was to keep a current photo of our child in our possession, so that it can be disseminated to the search party quickly.

I then asked the "WH" questions... who would be dispatched when, what first responders would be made available. I reminded them that we live in an area surrounded by water, woods, farms, and main roads. If our child is missing and we call, first the Sheriff's Office will be dispatched to assess the situation, and make calls to other agencies. I questioned how they handled someone who likely would not respond to their name being called, may even consider it a game of Hide and Seek. In that instance, MDSP would likely call in the Police Service Dogs, to try to pick up and locate a scent. The officers briefly touched on the ability to track footprints, and any disturbances in the vegetation made by a human, and the ability of a dog to track a scent just by the skin particles that fall on leaves, grass, etc. as we pass through. I digress. They then indicated that if needed, they had the ability to dispatch helicopters to do overhead surveillance. And if there is fear that missing party has approached the water, the DNR and Coast Guard can be called upon. 

For their lunch being interrupted, and a crazed mom asking a million questions, with tears pricking the corners of their eyes, they were incredibly professional. They were concise and informed, however I still feel that our kids may need more. 

There is something to be said about being proactive vs. reactive, and in this particular case, it could be a matter of life or death. 

As I write this, my heart is pounding, and my imagination is running wild. We have installed the door and window alarms to further protect C from leaving the house without our knowledge, but it still happens. The alarms get turned off, we hear the alarm and in the time it takes to call out to see if the other parent is on it, C has already made it to the street. This is real, and it is scary, and we need a better plan. 

So friends, I am working on it. I spoke directly with Senator Benson and she agrees that to not address the need for those with IDD to be included in, or have their own Public Alert System in place, is to concede to tragedy. Stay tuned, I will continue to update as I learn more about what can be done. 

** Please take a moment to say a prayer for Avonte Oquendo. He has been missing for a week and there is a $70,000 reward, with help from Autism Speaks for his safe return to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment