Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Potty Training, a Work in Progress

"Let's get the pee-pee out"  

 

Okay friends, we are on week 3 of potty training, and it has had it's ups and downs. We decided, for C, probably selfishly, that we weren't going to have the kid that goes to Kindergarten in a diaper. Of course he didn't have enough change going on during the first week of school, so we just decided to up the ante a bit more (Insert Sarcasm!).

We chose a potty song ("Let's Get the Sillies Out" by Yo Gabba Gabba converted to "Let's Get the PeePee Out"), a reward for attempting (1 mini marshmallow), a reward for producing (3 mini marshmallows), and a timer set in 10 minute increments (from the time his pants were pulled up), and spent the last week of summer slaves to the potty.

I would love to claim success, however our child has a fear of #2 now. And in addition to not going #2 on the potty, leading to a surge in local sales for size 5T underwear :) we are creating a serious back-flow. I am considering a Mirolax regiment (proven to work with O), however with a child that cannot verbalize his need to use the toilet and to make it more complicated can not distinguish his need for #1 or #2, I fear I am at an impasse.

There is much data proving that children with Autism have a history of GI issues, including but not limited to, Gluten intolerance, Casein intolerance Soy intolerance, Leaky Gut, and constipation. Research shows that sometimes treating the Gut Issues will help alleviate symptoms of Autism, not because they are curing Autism, but because our children who struggle to find the words to describe what ails them, are forced to deal with pain, through no fault of our own, but because of our lack of understanding, and our children's lack of effective communication.

C's teachers have asked, because they are frequently changing his clothes, bleaching the heck out of their floors, chairs, and tables, that we start putting C in a pull-up again. They have assured me that they will continue to take him on his scheduled potty breaks, but with the progress we have made, will that cause him to regress? Or... should I have waited for C to be able to verbalize his need to use the restroom before potty training?

And here I am, once again questioning my decision making skills. C is five, when prompted he will pee in the toilet, but he cannot/ won't tell me he has to go. Is it selfish to want to ensure he, like his classmates, is able to wear underwear to school? Am I nuts for fearing that he will be chastised for wearing a pull-up, be called a baby?

Let's be honest, there are a million challenges I should be tackling, most of which I feel powerless over. Potty training seems appropriate, reasonable, and an attainable goal, or so I thought. Now I feel like I may have to renege pushing C to use the potty not just because he is having difficulty at school but because it could be the underlying cause of new behaviors emerging. And if I cease potty training, what will that teach him? That he can wear diapers until further notice, that if he is stubborn enough we won't follow through with the goals we have set for him?

Mama friends, I need some advice here...
Your comments and suggestions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment