Sunday, September 1, 2013

Labor Day Jitters

The First Day of Kindergarten Approaches


We have been working on C's schedule since last January, for this school year. C turned 5 in August, thus making him eligible for Kindergarten. We knew that academically he was not ready for it, but also knew that we would have to, at some point, allow the kid to go to school for a full day.

After many IEP meetings, many tears, Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten and Speech evaluations, we were able to create a schedule that will allow C to attend a full day of school, interact with peers his age, all while catering to his academic and behavioral needs.

After all of our hard work, I have had a multitude of emotions, with the most recent being anxiety. This is my last baby to go to school, this is my special child, whom I hold dear to my heart.

He is ready, he needs school, I know in my heart that everything will be fine, but the mama in me can't help but to worry. It is hard to keep the "What if" questions from taking over my every thought. I can't concentrate, I am constantly thinking of things that I should tell his teachers. I even had a fleeting thought of creating a "C Desk Reference" for each of his teachers, to help guide them through all of his nuances. I know it is neurotic, but ultimately it is my fear of giving up control for 6 hours of his sweet life that really has me on edge.

So rather then allow the impending "First Day of School" to completely overtake me, I decided to write this:


Ode to the New School Year

The summer is ending
The school year is near
New transitions, new school
New teachers, new fear

We've worked hard all summer
To keep the brain fit
We've had play-dates, and field trips
Practiced our
numbers a bit

Mama is scared
of the new things to come
But I know little man
Will be the brave one

A bittersweet day
For this mama of three
Off to school they all go
And what's left is just me

**As a side, I would like to thank the staff at our home elementary school for their hard work, patience, understanding, sensitivity, exemplary communication, and compassion for C and my family. Kudos to the staff and administration, and many many thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment