Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Carly's Voice - A True Advocate for Autism Awareness

A must read for those trying to better understand Autism

In just 3 days I read Carly's Voice, Breaking Through Autism. I had prepared this wonderful piece introducing you to Sensory Integration, and C's experience with SI and OT, but after reading this book, I have to reconsider what I wrote.

Written primarily by Arthur Fleishmann, this book honestly and clearly paints the picture of a family raising a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. I laughed, I cried, I celebrated, and I marveled at this family's perseverance, but most importantly, I marveled at Carly's perseverance, at her will to want more, and her ability to use her voice, even when her traditional  voice failed her.

As I read, I found myself replacing Arthur and Tammy's anecdotes of daily life, of internal struggle, guilt, and happiness with our own stories of daily life. C rarely sleeps through the night. There was a period of time where we woke with him several times in the darkness of night, cleaning the havoc he created in his bedroom. He would tear his bed apart, throw all of the clothes out of the dresser, all of the toys out of the toy box and squeal so loudly, there was no choice but to wake. He was a midnight terror. We hadn't slept in years and we began to resent it, resent the witching hour, resent each other for not getting up first. After a consult with a Behavioral Psychologist, we stripped his room of just about everything personal. I joke that it looks more like a closet than a bedroom. It works. " 'Carly, get back in bed', I told her, a bit roughly. Although she complied, I knew this was the beginning of the day, not the end of a momentary disruption of the night." Arthur Fleishmann

Though Carly is non-verbal, her Autism symptoms so greatly resemble much of C's behavior (just a bit more extreme), I have found myself questioning everything I have read, everything I was told by doctors. Verbal Stim, or "Audio Filtering" as Carly describes it. Stimming behavior or OCD? Self Injurious behavior or a tactic to stop one's self from a worse behavior?

I have spent the last year chastising myself for not allowing C to be more independent, challenge him more in the area of self-help, push his educational limitations. It is frustrating, for him, for me, for our family. I find my patience wearing thin, never with C, but my poor, older boys definitely bear the brunt of my depleted patience. Is C being stubborn, is Autism creating a barrier, should I push, is it too much, how much is really too much?

After reading this book, specifically the last chapter, where Carly has the ability to really tell what Autism feels like to her, how aware she really is, her ability to persuade, all from her perspective, I feel like I have been given the key to the chest of hope. I know that C is intelligent, more so than many of us give him credit for. Does he play me for a fool, like Carly, is he able to manipulate ? Manipulation requires a multitude of high executive functioning abilities. I think I am not giving him credit for the little man that he really is. When he refuses to comply with a request, is he really just being defiant? Is Autism blocking his ability to filter the request into meaningful (to him) words?

Very often my husband and I say "if we could just help his brain figure out how to get from point A to point B, without interference, on the path of least resistance, maybe it would all just... click. " 'I feel like there's a button in her brain we just need to switch on,' Tammy said. But that button would remain out of sight, out of reach...it was time to stop asking why, and start asking now what?" And how often do I remind myself that the "why" won't help solve the immediate need of "now". That in order to understand the greater picture, I have to focus on what works now, and how that can help us in the future.

This book has resonated with me. I found myself dreaming of conversations I would have with Carly, if given the opportunity. I want to know how to best help my child, but I want to know from his perspective. I can see the questioning look in his eyes, when he tries to tell us something that we simply cannot comprehend, and rather than disassemble the pieces of the puzzle, mostly in an effort to be efficient, we just smile and nod. How frustrating for him to know that we just don't get it, and be unable to figure out how to speak to us, in our world, when he comprehends on a greater platform what is happening in his world. How frustrating for us, to want to help, and feel so hopeless in the endeavor.

It breaks my heart that Carly expresses the need to fit in, the want to "behave normally", and being in a body that just won't cooperate with those desires. The inability to be able to communicate in a traditional way gave the appearance that she cognitively was incapable of taking in and processing information in a useful way. Despite the doctor and psychologists low expectations, Tammy and Arthur fought, for every opportunity, every hope, every dream that they had for their daughter, and look at her now. A true self - advocate, speaking for those who have been unable to release their "inner voice".

On the day when we are to "Light it up Blue", to show our support and raise awareness for Autism, I find myself taking my own introspective look at how I advocate for my son's needs, how I educate those around me, and how I do my part in raising awareness. I have a new hero, and her name is Carly Fleishmann. I have a new perspective on life with Autism, and I have a new resolve to ensure that I show my deep respect for C's abilities and achievements, that I continue to embrace his independence and that I take each day in stride. I know how hard he is trying, just by the strides he has made over the last year. I, like Tammy and Arthur will continue to fight for what C needs, and I will ensure that his "inner voice" is heard.


For more exerpts from Carly's Voice:
Carly's Voice, Breaking Through Autism

For more information on Carly visit her You Tube Page:
Carly Fleishmann's You Tube Channel

Like Carly on Facebook:
Carly's Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment