Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Let's Stop Using Fear as a Means of Awareness

To envision a world without Autism, is to envision a world without my son. I posted this article on my personal Facebook wall yesterday, and it drummed up a bit of discussion on eugenics, and Autism Speaks, and even a bit of politics. Obviously I posted the article on my personal wall, because I felt that my opinion is mine, not reflective of our Foundation as a whole, however I feel that there is merit to discussing it in a larger forum.


I also want to mention that I personally feel that using fear as a tactic to solicit support, funds, and/ or followers is the wrong tactic to use. Are the number of children being diagnosed with Autism increasing - yes. This isn't a reason to scare society into action. The numbers speak for themselves. We have to take action, and support families who care for those with Autism, we need to support families faced with any diagnosis. It can be lonely, and to use fear as a method of soliciting support leaves many feeling as though they need fixing. It feels dirty. Let's provide education behind the numbers. Let's truly make a case for what having Autism means, and let's be real about what it means for future generations. Let fear be an emotion that one chooses on their own, without being provoked into the emotion. I was scared of Autism, at first. I am not scared anymore. I choose to feel hope, I choose to look towards obtainable goals that will help my child succeed. There are moments of fear, but it is fear of the unknown... not of the diagnosis.

I truly believe Autism Speaks has desire to help families impacted by Autism. As stated on their website, they are "dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families." Their first priority is to research causes, prevention, treatments and a cure, and their secondary goal, and I assume, as a supplement to their first priority, is to increase awareness and advocate. While I want the future, and unborn generations to have an answer to what causes Autism, how to educate expectant parents on the causes and preventative measures to take for their unborn fetus, I can't help but to feel that there is a greater mission that is missing. Whether a part of Autism Speaks fundamental mission statement or not, there is more work to be done. By not addressing this missing link, I think that it leaves those affected currently by Autism feeling skeptical.

Currently 1 in 68 are diagnosed with Autism. As I stated before, the numbers are derived from statistics of children born prior to 2003.  Of those children, how are we, as a Country, going to help the caregivers and children prepare for their future? How are we, as a Country, going to prepare our greater population, for adults that are going to need additional help, accommodations, acceptance, awareness and support? I think what is missing from the Autism Speaks mission, that so many, including those with Autism want addressed, is help that is needed for those with Autism, now.

I don't want to cure my son, I want to help my son fit into a world that is circular, when his genetic make-up is square. I want for therapies and treatments to be accessible to our family, without fear of having to put a second mortgage on our home to pay for them. I want the world to understand my son, and accept him. You don't have to like him, you don't have to understand him, and you certainly don't have to pity him, just accept him for who he is, as you would require those around you to grant you the same respect.

I think that unfortunately, in raising awareness, and fighting for our loved one's, we choose words, and target individuals or organizations, that are controversial. We choose to use fear as our tactic. We say, let's cure these individuals, let's prevent this from happening to future generations, and it leaves those affected feeling as if they are second class. As if they are in a world where they don't truly belong, and are simply made to feel as something that everyone should be aware of, and not necessarily accepted.

I choose to believe that Autism Speaks is here to provide valuable resources to parents who are just diagnosed. They have wonderful toolkits, available for free, for any family member trying to understand Autism. I believe that they are here, to provide funds to researchers, in hopes of finding out why these numbers continue to increase exponentially, and how we can prevent further rise. 

I believe that is up to us - caregivers, family members, self-advocates, friends - to ensure that those who are living with Autism today, get the care, respect and inclusiveness they deserve, just as any other member of the human race deserves. We need to ensure that we promote acceptance and awareness, educate our community on the difference, and promote inclusive environments. We don't need to "Light it up Blue" to do that. We need to get out, we need to share our story. We need to promote self-advocacy, and most importantly, we need to listen. We need to ensure that our loved one's with Autism not only have a voice, but that their voice matters. 

I love that we live in a Country that supports our freedom of speech, that we are able to choose our beliefs. It is a right and a privilege. Let's ensure that we extend those same rights to those with disabilities.

 "Just because I can't speak, doesn't mean I have nothing to say."

No comments:

Post a Comment